Hurricane may set back construction

Emily Gaines/ Staff Photographer
    Buddig Hall is under renovation. Due to the Hurricane Isaac the renovation process of this building may be pushed back.

Rain and winds took a toll on New Orleans and may have set back some of the construction at Loyola University.

According to Craig Beebe, director of Residential Life, the hurricane could have set back the estimated completion date for renovations in Buddig Hall, but construction workers are working to account for missing time. Beebe said a new estimated completion date is set for “mid-October.”

Meredith Hartley, director of Public Affairs said “Isaac will have no effect on the scheduled completion of the brick installation.” She explained that all construction projects take account for weather interruptions.

Along with many of the students who remained on campus during the storm, psychology sophomore Jessika England said, “I definitely felt safe in Buddig during the hurricane. Tuesday was the ‘scariest,’ if you were to call any of it scary, simply because the wind was so loud in the stairwells. We actually found that more cool than scary.”

Accounting sophomore Aleksandra Golanka added, “I felt safe staying in Buddig. The LUPD and the RAs were around to update us on the status of the hurricane. The worst night was the night before the hurricane hit, but staying in Buddig, I did not feel like that we were under any threat.” Buddig resident assistant Leta Davis did health and safety checks and continuous rounds while the electricity was out; however, she said she felt safe. “It was a slumber party without power,” Davis said.

Lounges, common areas and student rooms were flooded, according to Golanka and England.

England said, “A bit of flooding isn’t something we can’t handle.”

Beebe said future plans for all resident halls include “addressing known issues.” He said avoiding all flooding during hurricanes would be unlikely.

As for the overall future of Buddig Hall, Hartley said, “When completed, Buddig Hall will have a totally new building envelope system, providing efficient, comfortable accommodations for residents.”

Lucy Dieckhaus can be reached at [email protected]