SGA approves Spring 2002 budget allocations

The Student Government Association passed a resolution approving Spring 2002 organizational budget allocations at the Feb. 14 meeting. Caryn Winters, Arts and Sciences representative and political science sophomore, proposed an amendment seeking to move $528 from various areas to provide financing for the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Pink Tie Affair. The amendment failed to pass Congress’ vote.According to Lauren Campisi, SGA vice president and international business and economics senior, the primary allocation cut was a technical one. No one from AKA attended any of the three mandatory budget allocation meetings. AKA appealed, but SGA did not provide financing for the Pink Tie Affair because it wasn’t itemized on the request. The committee did allocate money for a leadership conference. Campisi said she hoped the conference would help AKA become stronger and more organized.Matt Kwasiborski, representing the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program, spoke at the meeting seeking to gather support for a fundraiser to raise money for the program. He said he hopes to boost spirit at Loyola through community service, and he is organizing a spirit day with 3-on-3 basketball and 6-on-6 volleyball tournaments.Big Brothers/Big Sisters is a pilot program being tested in New Orleans. Loyola has provided half the volunteers in the city so far, he said.At the Feb. 19 meeting, Congress voted to table the Richard Frank Grant Allocations Resolution for one week to allow members time to review the committee’s decision.Congress also approved a charter for the Health Care Law Organization. Karen Sunnenberg, first year law student, spoke on behalf of the organization.Sunnenberg said the organization wants to provide networking and information about health care law to Loyola students in order to compete with other law schools. SGA is also preparing for spring elections. Students interested in running for office must attend one of three mandatory election meetings. The meetings will be held in the SGA Office on Feb. 27 at 5 p.m., Feb. 28 at 12:30 p.m. and Mar. 1 at 8 a.m.

Click here to start a discussion on this story.