Pennington fields questions alone while opponent attends Jefferson fund-raiser

Mayoral hopeful Richard Pennington fields questions at the Law School on Wednesday afternoon. The Black Law Student Association invited mayoral candidates Pennington and Ray Nagin for a debate, but Nagin did not attend.
    Danielle Palmatier

Ray Nagin did not show up for a scheduled debate with Richard Pennington at Loyola Wednesday.The Black Law Student Association was supposed to hold a mayoral debate between candidates Ray Nagin and Richard Pennington at Loyola Law School on February 27. Nagin never arrived, but Pennington participated in a question-and-answer session, discussing his record and issues such as education and the economy. A few minutes after the debate was supposed to begin, organizers announced that Nagin would not attend. Disappointed sighs were heard from the audience after the announcement. “We did not know until ten minutes before the debate and until a representative from his campaign told us,.” said Tanzanika Ruffin, corresponding secretary for the Black Law Student Association. Bill Quigley, director of the law clinic, said he thought they knew 90 minutes ahead of time that Nagin was not coming. “I guess they were hoping against hope (that he would attend),” Quigley said.About an hour before the event, Ruffin told The Maroon that both candidates had committed to participating, and she was sure one of them was coming.Nagin’s camp said he had prior engagements. “All I can do is apologize,” said Jim Carvin, Nagin’s campaign manager. “He had a fundraiser in Jefferson Parish tonight.” Carvin also said Nagin had believed that the debate had been called off. According to another source, Nagin also missed out on a fund-raising breakfast that morning. where he was supposed to receive $1,700 dollars. Although Nagin was not in attendance, Pennington stayed to answer questions. “It feels kind of strange when you’re having a debate without your partner here,” said Pennington about Nagin’s absence. Questions from the audience included issues such as bringing more business to New Orleans and Wal-Mart opening a store within the city limits. “I think it’s a good program,” Pennington said. “If we can’t bring a Wal-Mart into the city, how are we going to bring anything else? Wal-Mart is coming because they want to get jobs for people in the community,” He also said New Orleans needed more jobs outside the service industry.Pennington also said change was necessary for the New Orleans school system. He cited truancy and the dropout rate as matters in which the city must become more involved. “We need to get back to the focus on education,” he said.Pennington said he believes that the qualities that set him apart are his honesty and integrity. He said he plans to use those qualities if he wins the election by being a leader people can trust. “I’ve always done the right thing for the people of our community,” he said. “I am well-respected not just in the community but throughout the United States . . . I think people just want to know they can trust their leader.” “I feel as though I am a very blessed person,” he said. “Whoever would have thought eight years ago I would be running as mayor?” he said.

Click here to start a discussion on this story.