New program aims to bring unity to campus

Week-long celebration to focus on bringing Loyola together

Waking up at the crack of dawn may not be necessary to get a Zulu coconut.On Monday, the University Programming Board will begin Unity Week, and one of the events has a Zulu coconut as the grand prize.The UPB hopes to bring the Loyola community closer together through the Unity Week celebration with five days of events sponsored by different Loyola organizations.”We want to create a better understanding between organizations on campus,” said Maria Landrum, English writing senior, UPB vice president and Unity Week coordinator.The booths , which will be set-up on Monday and Friday, will accomplish this, Landrum said.”[The booths] will give organizations a chance to talk about why they are here,” she said.One of the week’s highlights will be the scavenger hunt on Tuesday, Landrum said. The hunt will not be for physical items; it will be a hunt for knowledge.”We asked some organizations to submit thought-provoking questions,” Landrum said. “They aren’t the kind of question that you can go look up the answer on the Internet. (The contestants) will need to talk to different student organizations.”With help from the Krewe of Zulu and Doug Howard of the Loyola Bookstore, the UPB was able to obtain one of the few Zulu coconuts and will give it away to the winner of the hunt.Landrum said the idea for the program was developed last semester.”[We] wrote out the organizations at Loyola… [and] drew lines between ones that could work together,” Landrum said. “It’s a really amazing concept.”Landrum said that in addition to the events, each day of Unity Week will have a theme based on one of the Jesuit values, including “Men and Women for Others,” Unity of Heart and Mind” and “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.””Not enough people at Loyola understand the Jesuit values,” Landrum said. “They aren’t just for the Jesuits. They are universal.”Environmental Action, Loyola University Community Action Program, the Society of Professional Journalists and University Ministry are some of the organizations that will sponsoring events. Most of the groups involved have representatives on the Unity Week Committee.”I wanted everyone to be able to chip in,” Landrum said.Unity Week will begin on Monday with DURGA, a women’s art and music festival focused on empowering female artists. It will conclude with TGIF in the Residential Quad. “A lot of work has been put into this,” Landrum said. “A lot of backbreaking work.”

Click here to start a discussion on this story.