Poor reaction to theft alleged

Some victims of the thief who slipped into the New Residence Hall last week say that they are unsatisfied with the manner in which University Police handled the situation and that they are worried the man may strike again.The man stole from several rooms on different floors, taking such items as wallets and keys, before a student grew suspicious and chased him out of the building.Several students fear that the robber was able get into their rooms because he had copies of keys.”There wasn’t enough time for him to pick the locks of all our rooms,” said Sarah Turner, psychology junior. “He also ran into the technical data room, and they are always locked. Right now we are comfortable because they changed our locks, but I feel that everybody else in the dorm is in danger because they didn’t get their locks changed.” Roger Pinac, captain of University Police, said he doesn’t think the intruder had keys. “There’s nothing to indicate their rooms were locked … and all the [master] keys were accounted for,” Pinac said.Victims said they believe otherwise. “We can tell you for a fact that our door was locked. We are 100 percent sure,” Turner said. According to a BOLO report issued on Feb. 22 by University Police, a man was able to gain access to the New Residence Hall at approximately 7:20 a.m. on Feb. 20. He is described as black, approximately six feet tall with a medium build. He is estimated to be 21 to 27 years of age, and he was wearing a baseball cap, a plaid polo-shirt and dark-colored pants.He had on a dark backpack. Police say a student let him into the building. Police investigations indicate that the suspect may have previously attempted access to other buildings on campus as well.”We are unhappy with the way University Police treated what we said,” said an victim who wished to remain anonymous. “The investigation is not going to come of much. They are not listening and are unwilling to look for other things.”

Click here to start a discussion on this story.