Teaching in Korea

PHOTO PROVIDED BY KATY RUCKSTUHL
    Katy Ruckstuhl with one of her students on Halloween. Ruckstuhl teaches preschool in Busan, Korea.

Katy Ruckstuhl, A’12, always knew she wanted to take at least a year off before going to graduate school so she could get more life experience before choosing her career.

“All I knew was that I wanted to live abroad, so through the course of my research, I learned that teaching was the best option,” Ruckstuhl said. “There are so many opportunities to teach in such a wide range of countries, it seemed like an easy choice.”

And Ruckstuhl said the application process wasn’t too difficult.

“First you have to take a TEFOL course, which I did over the course of one month. After you’ve passed, you decide what country you would like to teach in and what level,” Ruckstuhl said.

Ruckstuhl posted her Curriculum Vitae, a picture and the countries she was interested in on different teaching recruiting websites. Once schools took interest in her, she underwent Skype interviews, and when she got offered the job, began collecting proper documentation for Korea.

Ruckstuhl said she decided to move halfway across the world to teach English in Busan, Korea.

“I decided to go, because I felt that if I did not take the opportunity to go at that point in time, I may never have done it,” Ruckstuhl said.

She said it also gave her a unique opportunity to both travel and make money.

“I, like many others, will need to pay my own way through graduate school, and have student loans that kicked in way too soon. Teachers in Korea have an excellent opportunity to save money, as our employer plays for our housing and the cost of living is a little lower than America,” Ruckstuhl said.

Teaching abroad has its perks as well, she said.

Ruckstuhl works as a kindergarten and elementary school teacher, instructing children ranging from ages three to 13. In the mornings, she is responsible for phonics lessons as well as song and dance. In the afternoon, she teaches middle school students a variety of subjects from phonics to history.

Other than working, Ruckstuhl said she has also gotten a chance to explore the local culture.

“Every day something interesting happens. Sometimes an old lady will try to sell me a live squid, and other times the highlight of my day is ordering a coffee in Korean, and the barista actually understanding me,” Ruckstuhl said.

She said not to worry about the transition that much.

“The transition is actually easier than you would think because Korea is modernizing very quickly and everyone under the age of 30 has basic English skills,” Ruckstuhl said.

Ruckstuhl said she is really happy that she chose to teach English abroad.

“I am having experiences that I would have never been possible if I had stayed in American and gone down a more ‘traditional path,'”Ruckstuhl said.

“Some people see taking a year off as a waste of time, but if you’re living and working abroad, you’re building your resume, learning new skills, as well as a new language while you take the time to experience life from a different point of view,” Ruckstuhl said.

She said she would advise anyone thinking about moving abroad to make sure they understand what they are getting themselves into.

“It isn’t the same as backpacking for a month or two and going home afterwards. The country you choose becomes your home, and you get what you put into the experience,” Ruckstuhl said.

“If you’re looking for a way to see the world, meet people from all walks of life, save money and are unafraid of change and new things, teaching abroad is definitely something I would recommend,” Ruckstuhl said.

Not everyone is as adventurous as Ruckstuhl, but there are plenty of options for alternative post-graduate paths here in the United States.