SGA adjusts structure

The Student Government Association has eliminated their House of Representatives.

The House of Representatives was a way for all the student organizations chartered under SGA to meet together and have their voices heard, according to Michael Falotico, SGA vice president.

SGA has put into place a council to replace the House of Representatives.

It was a precursor to the budget allocations process and has been replaced by a meeting held once a semester, called The President’s Council, according to Falotico.

“The House of Representatives had very low attendance. There was no reason for student organization leaders to come to these meetings unless they wanted something,” Falotico said.

The President’s council, which was held this semester on Sept. 6 in the Audubon room, is not actually led by the SGA president, but rather the treasurer of SGA, Logan McCabe.

The President’s Council is necessary before allocations so that SGA can explain why and how organizations can apply for funds,

Students celebrate Friendsgiving

according to McCabe.

“This year we got everybody their

money who correctly filled out their allocations packets and request funds for things we give money for,” McCabe said.

The House of Representatives used to be a place where the organization leaders could meet, be cleared up on specifics and find out about any changes on campus, Falotico said. The responsibilities and duties of the House are now under The President’s Council for allocations and regular SGA senate for information. The President’s Council is now the most important aspect of the relationship between SGA officers and organization presidents.

“In order to get allocated for budget allocations or hub space allocations, you have to be at The President’s Council,” McCabe said.

There is excess money in SGA, even after the allocations and post- allocations process. The money has not been given out due to organizations either not asking for it or not filing out their allocations packets correctly, according to McCabe.

Jonathan Cepelak can be reached at [email protected]