Campus mental health services innovated

Burke Biscoff

Loyola’s counseling center is working to use innovative services to reach out and treat students who are suffering from anxiety disorders and other mental diseases.

According to the May 2013 Louisiana State Epidemiological Profile, nearly one in five adults in Louisiana and across the US are estimated to have experienced some form of mental illness in the preceding 12 months, although rates in Louisiana are slightly higher.

The University Counseling Center, which provides free confidential individual, group, couples and ADHD counseling, is trying to incorporate unique services to treat a slowly increasing number of students who may be diagnosed with anxiety disorders or other mental issues.

Alicia Bourque, director of Counseling and Health Services, said the counseling center works to provide psychiatric services on a limited basis due to the center’s one psychiatrist only coming to campus a couple of times a month, as well as providing different wellness and prevention subjects to the campus community.

Sammy Ybarzabal, psychology junior, said she has gone to the center for three years. She said she is making more frequent use of the center because her resident assistant job causes her a lot of stress.

“My residents have a lot on their minds, so sometimes it’s hard to have all of that information inside,” Ybarzabal said. “So, I really like to go to the counseling center to de-stress and to get strategies and tips for helping with that.”

Sara Feldman, mass communication senior, said she has gone to the center for three years as well in order to take care of some anxiety problems.

“I’ve been seeing various counselors there since I was a freshman,” Feldman said.

Bourque said the counseling center uses individual counseling when dealing with anxiety disorder. She also said the center can provide referrals to intensive treatment or medications if a student’s condition is causing daily disruptive instances.

According to Bourque, other services the counseling center is providing to help students with anxiety and mental disorders include a blog, a depression-screening day on Oct. 20 and a recently implemented crisis walk-in hour.

The blog, called Care for the Pack, provides psycho-educational information about mental health concerns, mental health issues and support services. The screening day will offer students two hours in the Danna Center’s Audubon Room, where they can take a short inventory to see if they meet the criteria for depression. Depending on how they score, according to Bourque, they are provided with information about resources and support services.

Bourque said the crisis walk-in hour was implemented because the center was too booked to meet the daily needs of students who were in a crisis. She said the center opens the 4 p.m. appointment time so the center can care to students that need immediate counseling.

Ybarzabal said she likes the University Counseling Center because the services are free and she can stick with a counselor she likes for as long as she wants.

“I recently went to a conference with other students where I got to ask them what their services were like, and from what I gathered, they have to pay every session,” Ybarzabal said. “Their sessions aren’t free and it’s also kind of hit or miss for them.”

Feldman said she also likes the University Counseling Center because its services work towards removing negative feelings attached to mental illness.

“I think the Counseling Center is great,” Feldman said. “I think they provide a service that is necessary to this campus.”