Rec Plex adds a kickboxing exercise class to its schedule

Students have new option for fitn
Tiffany Kudiwu/Contributing Photographer
Students get a workout during a kickboxing class, taught by instructor Patrick Lindsley, in the Recreational Sports Complex Thursday, Feb. 9.

Loyola students are kicking it out and getting fit in the newest fitness class on campus: kickboxing.

The class is taught by Bosjons Jordan on Wednesdays at 7:15 p.m. and Patrick Lindsley on Thursdays at 5:15 p.m.

“If you go on a regular basis you will see results and learn some self-defense as well,” said Ariel Dregory, history sophomore.

Jordan describes his class as a “fun, upbeat, energetic class.” A kickboxing and martial arts instructor for over 15 years, Jordan started practicing martial arts during his youth and continues today.

“Kickboxing is a top cardiac exercise besides swimming. I want you to get a good workout but have fun. Smile and sweat at the same time,” Jordan said.

Lindsley, a Tulane senior, has been a fitness instructor for three years. He started as a personal trainer, as well as boxing and kickboxing instructor working with trainers at Tulane.

“(I) always enjoyed boxing and kickboxing. I love the nature of it,” Lindsley said.

Lindsley said he hopes those who take his kickboxing class learn actual kickboxing techniques but enjoy the class as well.

“I try to give balance and techniques and make the workout as athletic as possible—challenging but fun at the same time,” Lindsley said.

Two instructors on two different days and times give Loyola students the chance to experience Jordan’s or Lindsley’s techniques for themselves.

“It gets the best out of everyone,” said economics senior Maria Cuadra. “I’ve been taken the class for two weeks and already feel different.”

Shamara King can be reached at