SGA director of finance resigns

Accounting junior Jiad Alqotob put in his two weeks notice before Thanksgiving break as the student government association’s director of finance.

Unlike Senators in the legislature who are required to resign from their post, Alqotob gave notice as required of his pay-based position in the executive branch.

“There’s absolutely nothing wrong with SGA, it’s just that it was a really stressful job,” Alqotob said. “Maybe I shouldn’t have taken on the job if I couldn’t handle that much work, but I did my job really well. I just don’t have the time to keep doing the job.”

The main responsibility of the finance director is the student organizations’ allocations process and how it is managed throughout the year, said Chief of Staff Kate Gremillion. “Jiad spent many hours trying to satisfy the students’ needs, but this proved to be more challenging than anyone on executive staff expected.”

Michael Jackson, director of public relations, associated Alqotob’s decision to quit with the time-consuming and demanding nature of the position. He said it is a position that requires a lot of consistent availability, patience and flexibility. “I think for him it was a lot of work and it was really self-consuming because of all the paperwork involved,” he said.

Cooper mentioned because of a new general counsel, Gita Bolt, recent changes in protocol regarding paperwork altered how finances work within SGA. Some documents to request funds have changed, and more additional paperwork is now required to request completing additional documents are required to request things such as speakers.

“It takes a while for things to catch on to how she does things, and he had to reconfigure everything out himself,” Cooper said. She said he did not have the patience the job demanded.

Jackson said this position requires patience, flexibility and communication. “You don’t necessarily have to be a money person, but (you) need to be organized and be able to deal with paperwork,” he said.

Alqotob has agreed to keep his post and perform his respective duties until the end of the semester, as well as train the newly appointed finance director.

Charmaine Jackson can be reached at [email protected]