Restaurant Reviews

By the students who work at them
    Russell Shelton, mass communication junior, waits tables at Grande Isle in the Central Business District, Nov. 30.
    KEVIN ZANSLER / Photo editor

Grand Isle Resurant located at 575 Convention Center Blvd.

Average Price: $30-$40, “Although one could also eat for around $15,” said Shelton.

Favorite thing to order: Chili Butter Baked Escolar

Position: Server

What makes it great: “Everyone enjoys working there which makes for a comfortable environment,” Shelton said.

Key factor: “We have won Best of Show two-years running at the Po-boy
    Festival. Chef Mark has unbelievable talent at age 27,” Shelton said.

Trying a new restaurant can be scary for some. Many factors go into deciding the restaurant of the night and what better way to help make your decision than suggestions from the people who work there? Here are reviews of some of New Orleans’ restaurants by Loyola students who work at them.

Cali Traina
    Rocky’s Pizza

Located: 3222 Magazine St.

Position: Waitress, but sometimes cooks
    Favorite item to order: BBQ pulled pork pizza or Mojo Blanco pizza
    Average Price: ?????

What makes it great: “It’s a fun place to work because my co-workers are hilarious, but as a customer it’s great because the food is good and the people are always interesting,” Traina said.

Key factor: “We freeze our beer glasses. People seem to love that,” Traina said. 

Why it is good for college students: “It’s not the cheapest place to eat on Magazine, but I think so. Everyone loves pizza,” Traina said.

Carolyn Nguyen
    LA Thai Uptown

Located: 4938 Prytania

Average Price: $15

Position: Waitress

Favorite item to order: Chilean Sea bass. “It’s crispy panko-crust, veggies and lump crabmeat topped with the spicy coconut green curry melts my stomach,” Nguyen said.

What makes it great: “This is a great place because this is a family business–Thai people cooking Thai food! They actually care about their customers and their food. My managers and owners cook the food, then walk out to talk to all the customers to see how they are,” Nguyen said.

Key Factor: Another special thing about La Thai is that the restaurant transforms into a really savvy, chill lounge/bar on Friday nights from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. A D.J. plays great lounge music and there is also a small late-night menu. On some nights there would be a fashion collection preview or drink specials for a special event,” Nguyen said.

Why it is good for college students: “I would recommend this restaurant to all college students who like to try new things and who enjoy a nice, relaxing dinner. It’s also just a seven minute drive from school,” Nguyen said.

Chris Lippincott
    Jacques-imos

Located: 8324 Oak St.

Average Price: $18-$25

Favorite item to order: Pan seared duck, especially the sauce.

What makes it great: “The atmosphere at this place is like nothing you have ever seen. This, along with the best food in the city, are its best qualities,” Lippincott said.

Key Factor: “Immediately when you walk in this place you notice things that are not typically in restaurants. The walls display murals all around the building along with many local artists’ work, which includes anything from paintings of Rebirth to a lamp made out of light bulbs. Another distinct quality about this place is the owner himself. Jack, who is the sole proprietor, has in some way created this place after his personality,” Lippincott said.

Why it is good for college students: Anyone who loves great food, music and New Orleans will probably find their new favorite place here.

Mignon May
    Reginelli’s Uptown

Located: 714 State St,

Average Price: $9-$18

Favorite item to order: Dreamstate Foccacia sandwhich

What makes it great: “Its inexpensive prices and fresh ingredients,” May said.

Key factor: “The quirky, modern Italian décor,” May said.

Why it is good for college students: “It’s cheap, close to campus and tastes great,” May said.

John Adams

Cali Traina, graphic design junior, pours a beer on tap at Rocky’s Gourmet Pizzaria on Magazine Street, Sunday, Nov. 29. (KEVIN ZANSLER / Photo editor)

Hostess Cara-Mia Noto answers the phone as music industry junior Chris Lippincott prepares menus for guests Dec. 1 at the Creole Cajun cafe Jacques-Imo’s on Oak Street. (ELLE MALONEY / Staff photographer)

Mignon May, mass communication senior, serves pizza at Reginelli’s Uptown, Wednesday, Dec. 2. (ELLE MALONEY / Staff photographer)