Editorial: Take responsibility for yourself

It is now November and, judging by the sounds of wailing and gnashing of teeth coming from around campus, midterm grades are out, bringing with them some happiness and relief.

However, they have also brought along a slew of excuses.

While it may be easy to blame these grades on a misunderstanding, a bad professor or personal issues, it is important to remember that college is supposed to serve as a transition into the adult world – intellectually, mentally and emotionally.

At the risk of sounding like our parents, being an adult involves taking responsibility for your actions.

It is only going to get harder to blame the crappy parts of your life on a superior or on a bad day. The margin for excuses only continues to narrow in the professional world, and it is important to try to get used to that now.

Taking responsibility for your actions can be limiting but liberating. Adulthood comes with independence. Owning your actions can open doors, especially when you try to take control of your life. However, handling independence can be daunting. We understand.

Find solace in the fact that you are a part of the Loyola community and that, for the most part, we are all in the same boat. Chances are, someone else is having trouble in that class you’re struggling in, or someone else is dealing with a financial hold.

We all have bad days. A key part of adulthood is learning how to work through those days without making excuses. Sometimes, that involves bonding together despite the struggle bus we’re all driving. However, that bus can be a nice place to be in solidarity.

Sometimes, taking responsibility for yourself means admitting that you screwed up. We all have to do that at some point.

However, the nice thing about that is that midterm grades come out in the middle of the semester. You still have over a month left. Meet with your professor. Find a study group. Figure out how you can make the best of a bad situation.