Saintsational intern

Student volunteers and interns with Saints
Malerie Thornton, Mass communications junior, with the New Orleans Saints mascot, Gumbo.  Thornton spends every Sunday home game on the field helping to organize events and staff.
Photo courtesy of Malerie Thorton
Malerie Thornton, Mass communications junior, with the New Orleans Saints mascot, Gumbo. Thornton spends every Sunday home game on the field helping to organize events and staff.

For Malerie Thornton, being a Saints fan goes beyond wearing a jersey or chanting “Who dat?” on game days.

Thornton, mass communication junior, interns with the Saints and has volunteered with the team for almost a year.

“Working with the Saints has been an amazing opportunity,” Thornton said.

Thornton’s duties include helping coordinate Copeland’s Kids Clubs and Junior Training Camps at elementary and middle schools, as well as organizing the mascot’s schedule and assisting on game days. She said she enjoys interacting with the community and working with children.

“Our department strives to be the best in the NFL, and we can’t do that without the support we receive from our interns and our staff. Malerie helps bring a new perspective to our goals and helps us initiate new programming to better reach out to students across the entire Gulf South region,” said Andrew Remson, the Saints youth program manager.

Thornton started volunteering with the New Orleans Saints in May 2011, and she began an internship in August 2011. She learned about the opportunity through EMPLOYOLA, the job board that allows employers to recruit Loyola students and a resource for Loyola students looking for jobs or internships.

“I love that I am interning for an organization that I would love to stay with for the future,” Thornton said.

Thornton met several Saints players during her internship and had the opportunity to work with them.

“The most important thing is to remember that they are still people, and playing football is their job,” Thornton said.

Working with the organization, Thornton said she was able to use some mass communication skills she learned from her Loyola classes and enjoys being a part of an exciting organization.

“The most exciting aspect of working for the New Orleans Saints is the opportunity to meet new people every day. Our fans are the best in the world, and everywhere we go, they are great to be around,” Remson said.

As a huge “Who Dat” fan since she was young, Thornton said she was pleased with the past season for the Saints but looks forward to the upcoming season.

For those interested in following Thornton’s steps, she said her organization is currently looking for volunteers to intern with the Saints.

“They are looking for volunteers for the rest of this semester and the summer. The listings are on EMPLOYOLA,” Thornton said.

Shamara King can be reached at [email protected]