Break the cafeteria dining routine with alternative cooking options

Nichole Adams, math freshman, waits over the stove while her Ramen noodle dinner boils. Ramen is a popular choice amongst students for a quic and cheap meal .
    John Adams

After more than two months of eating the same things on campus and having their Wolfbucks dwindle, students are looking for other alternatives to fill their bellies.

To avoid high prices on campus students can walk to the nearest Rite Aid or Walgreeens and stock up on the many microwavable dorm food items.

With kitchens in every dorm, students can freely use the stove and microwave provided to them if they do not have a microwave in their rooms.

Theater arts freshman Sarah Stout and jazz studies freshman John Donovan love the convenience of having a kitchen on each floor of Biever Hall to heat up the microwaveable foods they resort to since Wolfbucks are scarce.

“I am out of Wolfbucks,” Donovan said.

“I also rely on my parents sending me cookies and snacks from home,” Stout said.
    Mathematics freshman Nichole Adams said she likes using the kitchen for one of her favorite pastimes, cooking and baking.

“I like to bake cookies and brownies and cook fried rice and teriyaki stuff,” Adams said.
    Adams said she likes to take the free shuttle service to Target to grocery shop and buy cooking supplies.

But for those domestically challenged there are other ways to find a quick meal other than the Orleans Room.

If you have some extra cash you can always bust out the take out menus and order in from many of the restaurants in the area that deliver such as Fresco’s or the Italian Pie.
    Graphic design junior Logan Napoli likes to head to Tulane University for lunch.

“They have more and better options than the Danna Center,” Napoli said.
    Tracey Garcia, visual arts junior, likes going to friends’ houses off campus and cooking with them.
    “Its nice to be able to cook because it’s cheaper, healthier and I can control what I eat,” Garcia said.

Free meals offered on campus are a great way to find a quick and easy meal even if you may have to sit through a boring meeting.

Music industry studies junior Samie Asmel, a resident assistant for Buddig Hall, creates floor programs and orders food for the residents on her floor.
    “I ordered two platters from Roly Poly, and seven residents showed up,” Asmel said.

John Adams can be reached at [email protected].