Sigma Alpha Kappa president asked to resign

After being the president of the Sigma Alpha Kappa fraternity since the spring 2010 semester, Andrew Poland, political science senior, will no longer serve in that capacity. Poland explained he never resigned, but was rather already removed by the Alumni Association in October 2010. “The Alumni Association felt it necessary that I be removed,” Poland said.

Poland was named president of SAK in spring of 2010, when all existing SAK members – excluding himself – were forced to disaffiliate from the fraternity. He was given one week to recruit, pledge and initiate new members into the chapter.

“(The Alumni Association) could trust me and because I was always honest with them; they retained me,” he said. “The shuffle was necessary for the frat to survive.”

Former SAK members, however, argue that this “shuffle” was never justified. “We received letters of termination just two weeks after initiation. They did not specify the reasons for this decision,” said Chris Graugnard, former SAK member and economics sophomore.

Graugnard and other inactive members said there are two possible reasons for the modifications SAK underwent. The inactive members said one possible reason was related to two of the members’ inability to pay their dues. Instead of explaining the members’ financial shortcomings, SAK decided to mask it. Graugnard said this made it seem as if they had paid, but they actually had not. “The frat had receipt records to prove this was false,” Graugnard said.

A new e-board was elected through a considerably nontraditional method: beer pong. Although the Alumni Association argued it was inappropriate, former SAK members reasoned it was the only way to ensure objectivity.

The inactive members said the second possible reason was the initiation of a Tulane University student, Zach Nusloch, as an honorary member of SAK. Although he was a Tulane student, most members felt he was a deserving candidate.

“In reality, it is just a title. He was not technically a member. In essence, he was an affiliation,” Graugnard said. “Besides, the same was done with Gary Herbert, who was also awarded the title of honorary member.” The only difference was that, in this case, the Alumni Association didn’t consider it a problem.” Herbert, however, held this position for a short time. “I will be stepping down as advisor to SAK sometime soon. For all practical purposes, I already have.”

Former SAK president, Russell Mistich, is unaware of the reasons as to why Poland was removed as president. “I moved on with my life, I have a job, I would prefer if the school removed (SAK),” Mistich said. “It was a degrading thing to see what happened to my brothers. The Alumni Association made a mockery of what it is to be a fraternity.”

On the other hand, SAK’s new president, psychology junior, Benjamin Staab, views the situation differently.

“Because SAK has been subject to scrutiny in the past, we need to prove that we are a valuable part of the Loyola community,” Staab said. “I believe that for Andrew, ‘real life’ became his ultimate priority and SAK was forced to the back seat. The active chapter decided that it would be in our best interests to relieve Andrew of his responsibilities as president and fill the office with someone who had a little less on their plate.”

Natalia Verdina can be reached at [email protected]