Retention rate has improved

Freshman retention is up 6 to 7 percent

With fewer students leaving Loyola each semester, freshman retention rates are the highest since 2002.

The number of freshmen who return their sophomore year has increased approximately 6 to 7 percent this year, according to M.L. ‘Cissy’ Petty, vice president and associate provost of student affairs.’

In the 2007-2008 academic year, the retention rate of freshmen was 73 percent. Last year, that number was 80 percent.

This year shows an increase, as well. The number of freshmen who have returned for the spring semester in 2009 was 92 percent and the number of freshmen who have returned this semester is 95 percent.

‘We are expanding all forms of student engagement, so there are increasing opportunities for students to find connections,’ said Sal Liberto, vice president for enrollment management and associate provost.

‘Loyola 2012,’ the university’s strategic plan, includes improving student retention as an overarching strategy.

According to ‘Loyola 2012,’ this aspect of the plan focuses on giving attention to ‘advising, student housing, student life, athletic programs, curriculum, and staffing needed to keep students actively engaged in campus life.’

‘Two statistics that I always look at ‘hellip; one is the issue about retention and the other is about graduation rates ‘hellip; They are a common indicator of your success as a university,’ said university president the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J.

The retention goal for this year’s freshmen is 79 percent to 80 percent.

The goal for next year is 82 percent and is planning on increasing by one percent until the 2015-2016 academic year, where it is expected to be 86 percent.

‘(Retention methods) have really been ramped up in the last seven months,’ Liberto said.

Strategic initiatives underway include classroom and lab renovations, 24-hour accessible counseling services, faculty enhancement of the first-year program, faculty attention to academic advising and faculty and student affairs collaboration on Learning Communities for first-year programs, according to Petty.

Increasing upperclassmen retention is another important goal for the university. Extending the orientation programs to sophomore year is under discussion.

‘We really want to enroll students to graduate from Loyola, not just to keep them for a year or two years,’ Liberto said.

Faculty positions have been created dedicated to student retention, such as that of retention and student success coordinator, the Rev. Jim Caime, S.J. Initiating new programs is another way the university plans on retaining students.

‘We have a series of first-generation college initiatives that we’re going to kick off soon,’ Liberto said.

‘They will be focused on those students who are the first in their families to go to college ‘hellip; We want to make sure those students are not at any sort of disadvantage.’

Though the increased rate is a positive sign for the university, Wildes said there is still more work to do.

‘On one hand, we should both acknowledge (the increased retention rate) and celebrate it. I think it’s a good achievement. On the other hand, I still think we can continue to improve,’ Wildes said.

Precious Esie can be reached at [email protected]