Cooper, Rossi win 2009 elections

SGA president-elect and marketing junior Sarah Cooper hugs her campaign manager, mass  communication freshman Kate Gremillion, after SGA election results were announced March 31 in the Danna Center. Cooper won against opponent Ashley Shabankareh, music industry education senior, with a 60 percent majority.
    Kevin Zansler/The Maroon
    SGA president-elect and marketing junior Sarah Cooper hugs her campaign manager, mass communication freshman Kate Gremillion, after SGA election results were announced March 31 in the Danna Center. Cooper won against opponent Ashley Shabankareh, music industry education senior, with a 60 percent majority.

The Student Government Association in Spring 2009 elected two fresh faces for the president and vice president positions.

On March 31 at 8 p.m., marketing junior Sarah Cooper was elected SGA president by a 60 percent vote over her opponent, Ashley Shabankareh, music education and music industry junior. Maria Rossi, English junior, will serve as her vice president.

In the post-election atmosphere the candidates reflected on their personal experiences throughout campaign week.

“At the beginning of the week, I felt like the underdog because it seemed like no one knew who I was. People on my campaign team were often asked  ‘well, who is Sarah Cooper?” Cooper said.

But Cooper’s determination only forced her to work harder.

“I really started gaining confidence from the help of the students who supported me. I spoke to so many people. I went to many different types of organizations, not just the ones I’m directly involved in. I hit all aspects of the school, and I feel like that is a good reflection of the kind of administration I’m going to run,” Cooper said.

Cooper’s administration will emphasize personal connections with students. “Whenever someone comes into the Hub with a problem, we will write down their name and number and do the best we can to deal with it. Even within the administration, I will be making sure their jobs are getting done and they are in sync with one another,” Cooper said.
    Cooper, who describes herself as a naturally outgoing person, had no problem walking up to strangers to campaign. She got positive feedback from student who appreciated her one-on-one campaigning technique, she said.

Her confidence in her campaign, Cooper said, was due, in large part, to support from her sorority, Delta Gamma, her campaign team and the endorsement from SGA president Cade Cypriano, political science senior.

“Having support from someone who already was the president really boosted my confidence. He was a great president and did so much for the student body. With his support I definitely felt I could push through this campaign,” Cooper said.

When marketing senior Scott Bryars, the commissioner of elections announced Cooper’s win she said it didn’t feel real. “I didn’t really get it until all my friends started hugging me,” Cooper said.

Cooper said she is excited to have the opportunity to make changes that students have been asking for. To Cooper, her greatest strength is her ability to communicate. With a fresh perspective for Loyola, Cooper is committed to strengthening SGA’s ability to communicate.

“SGA needs to come out of the basement and establish a presence on campus,” Cooper said.

Cooper’s commitment to changing the presence of SGA on campus begins with herself. She wants to make sure the university knows that she is getting things done.

“I want to be out there, hands on with my job. I want to be a face that people feel comfortable approaching,” Cooper said.

Maria Rossi, SGA vice president compliments Cooper’s basic platform. Rossi looks forward to working with Cooper.

“I want to observe Sarah and learn from her. She is so ambitious; when she talks to people her eyes light up and she is so passionate. I want those qualities,” Rossi said.

“SGA has been something I’ve always felt passionate for. I felt called to do as much as I could for Loyola and I feel like SGA is my niche,” Rossi said.

Rossi was confident with her campaign from the beginning. She reached out to her friends in a wide range of organizations on campus, as well as her professors.
    It was her professors who gave her the best advice.

“I would talk to my professors who gave me advice about what they expected to see in a student leader. They gave me better insight and to what a student leader should be and what they want to see. Also they told me about the good leaders from the past,” Rossi said.

As vice president, Rossi wants to make sure that every student on campus knows what SGA is. She wants to hear their voices, complaints and all. Most importantly, Rossi is dedicated to connecting with the student body on a personal level.

Stephanie Pawlik can be reached at [email protected].

Vice president elect Maria Rossi, English junior (center) holds back a flood of emotion upon learning of her victory March 31. (Kevin Zansler/The Maroon)