SGA creates new position

In only her second semester at Loyola, Kate Gremillion holds an executive position in the Student Government Association —  director of student identity.

Gremillion, mass communication freshman, officially took her position on Jan. 26, bringing a fresh perspective to the relatively new position, which illustrates the Student
    Government Association’s work towards a new face for Loyola.

The mission of the student identity position is to work with faculty and administration to reach a compromise benefiting the campus community, as well as strengthening the relationship between the student body and Mission and Ministry.

“A lot of people that come through Loyola don’t exactly get a Jesuit experience in terms of giving back to the community and being involved with organizations,” Gremillion said.

Cade Cypriano, SGA president and political science senior, created the position at the beginning of this year.

He said the qualities Gremillion exhibited through her work as an intern fit the position; her unparalleled dedication and her ability to maximize her time showed she had a lot of promise as a student representative.

Sam Bradley, SGA chief of staff and music composition junior, said Chad Carson, sociology junior, the former director of student identity, left guidelines describing his ideal successor.

“He called for someone socially-minding — someone with a good mind for the school and someone organized.

Cade and I immediately thought of Kate and her outstanding personality,” Bradley said.

The senate approved Gremillion’s nomination unanimously.

Students who believe their voices are heard are more likely to get involved in their school community, Gremillion said.

“Loyola shouldn’t be just a place where you went to school, got an education and graduated. It’s something that you have a real, deep personal connection with,” Gremillion said. “That’s something the Loyola students will be able to do if they voice their opinion and get directly involved.”

Gremillion is dedicated to representing the student voice while maintaining a university standard based in Jesuit tradition.

“This position is a huge part of me because I love being a leader,” Gremillion said, “and I love being involved with the religious aspect of our school and Jesuit ideals.

Those are two things that are very much a part of me and very much a part of this position. It’s a good fit.”

Gremillion recalls an immediate desire to become involved on campus.

“I looked for an organization that affected the student body but still had a positive influence.” She worked as an SGA intern until Cypriano offered her the position.

“I was so thrilled when I heard about this position because I’ve had so many ideas trying to get everyone involved and make campus a place where there’s traditions that people are proud of,” Gremillion said.

The current projects she is working with SGA on include a campus beautification project — landscaping next to library and the sustainability garden at the corner of Bobet and West Road — as well as the continuation of the spring concert series Loup Garou.

Also, Gremillion and SGA are in the process of establishing a university honor code and a student honor board.

Ultimately, Gremillion’s goal is to ignite a sense of pride throughout Loyola because of active participation on campus.

“Everyone should be able to come back and see things my position has done.
    I want every student to be able to look back at their time here proudly, and realize that what is happening now was monumental for Loyola,” Gremillion said.

Stephanie Pawlik can be reached at [email protected].