Go Bananas! raises $1,500 for charity

TIm Hunter, Doug Tassin, Christina Ung, David Ancar and Chris Cook dance the night away at the Go Bananas! Dance-a-thon last Friday.
    Katie Kennedy

Despite an injury minutes before taking the prize, Mary Esther Tucker proved to be the best dancer in the St. Charles Room last Friday night. Tucker, a religious studies junior, won the Go Bananas! Dance-a-thon benefiting the United Way by dancing for nine straight hours.

“I was so excited when they called my name, because I hurt my ankle in the last 15 minutes,” Tucker said. “I hadn’t been dancing my hardest, but I just kept going.”

Tucker said she plans on donating the money to school organizations.

It was a real Cinderella story, according to management sophomore and University Programming Board member Rob Olsen. SGA vice-president Michelle Clarke, communications junior, said that Tucker stood out among the rest and proved to be a respected dancer.

UPB, the Student Government Association and the Black Student Union co-sponsored Go Bananas! in its second year. Participants competed for a $500 cash prize, but they had to dance, non-stop, from 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. Out of 20 participants, 12 dancers survived the nine grueling hours of constant competition.

“It was hard to dance for that long, but I was motivated and I’ve had [ballet] rehearsals that have lasted longer than that,” Tucker said.

According to UPB president Cindy Hurley, marketing junior, the dance-a-thon raised a total of $1,500. Last year more than $2,000 was raised for the charity.

Administrative Assistant Jonathan McGee, Assistant Director of Student Activities Jill Styx and Associate Director of Student Activities J.J. Keegin rounded out the administrator-studded panel. Alumni Bea Forlano, last year’s SGA president, and James Jarc, last year’s UPB president, were both on hand to help out.

“I thought that everyone who danced did a very good job,” Styx said. Judges awarded points to the dancers for their entertaining yet skillful moves.

Although last year’s dance-a-thon attracted 62 dancers, this year more dancers made it to the end of the night.

“I think attendance was lower due to Labor Day and the fact that it was the first week of school,” Clarke said, “but the dancers were more enthusiastic than last year’s.”

The fund-raiser also offered refreshments for the dancers and approximately 100 onlookers.

“I came beforehand for the food; it was plentiful and delicious. Nachos, finger-foods, sandwiches, veggies, cheese. Unfortunately, I had a Saints game to go to. I wish I could have stayed,” international business sophomore Sam Cabrera said.

Go Bananas! is one of the largest co-programming events that Loyola holds during the the academic year.

Kelly Brown can be reached [email protected].