C-Store prices sometimes triple other Uptown locations

The C-Store sometimes charges nearly three times as much as other convenience stores for similar items, according to an informal survey of the on-campus location and other small shops in the Uptown area.

There are a number of reasons for this price disparity, according to Director of Loyola Dining Services Vance Howe. The main issue is volume.

“We get our products from vendors who specialize in small convenience stores as gas stations. You wouldn’t pay as much at a Winn Dixie or a Sav-a-Center because of the volume larger stores sell in,” Howe said.

However, even compared to local convenience stores, C-Store prices are high. Banquet Pizza Rolls cost $4.99 at the C Store, but only $1.99 at the Circle K on Magazine Street. Of 17 items available in both stores, only two (General Mills cereal cups and Oberto beef jerky) were the same price. Nothing was cheaper in the C-Store.

The C Store charged an average of 32 percent more per item than the convenience store. Part of this price difference is due to the university’s policy of adding 10 percent to the price of all products to support the university.

Some students aren’t bothered by the price increase.

“It’s expensive, but you’re paying for a convenience,” says communications junior Janna Jackson. “You either bring your food from home, and it gets cold, or you buy it here.”

Other students find the price gap frustrating.

“As college students, we don’t have much money, and they should be trying to make prices reasonable, not make money off of us,” accounting sophomore Stephanie Miranda said.

Sociology senior Jaunell Murphy feels that the university relies on the students’ lack of interest to keep prices high.

“It’s deceptive, because you just slide your card, there’s no money being exchanged. You don’t even think about the prices, but it’s your money you’re spending.”

But Howe says dining service’s hands are tied.

“We would need a much larger space to be able to compete with grocery store prices. We only have a three percent profit margin on the C-Store. Our vendors set our prices,” Howe said

He also said that Dining Services attempted to lower C-Store prices by carrying lower-cost and off-brand products, but “they weren’t as popular; they weren’t purchased.”

Kelly Brown can be reached at [email protected].