The Hub opens doors after month-long wait

After nearly a month-long delay, Loyola’s new underground office space, The Hub, officially opened for business Thursday, Sept. 17.

The Hub, located in the lower level of the Danna Center, is a shared office space between organizations on campus. It is equipped with desks, chairs, computers with Internet access and a flat screen TV with cable, as well as communal desks and cabinets for everyone to share.

The space was supposed to be open on Aug. 18 but was pushed back due to problems with phone and Internet connection, which have since been resolved.

“The space is not 100 percent,” Braxton Bernard, marketing senior and University Programming Board president, said.

The Hub is still waiting on two communal Apple computers, a printer and larger banner printer.

Student Government Association Chief of Staff Sam Bradley, music junior, has overseen activities with the Hub and said having the organizations together enables better communication between them. A list serve for the Hub is in the works to allow for even easier communication.

“The space was renovated to create an open floor plan with high visibility and easy access for any student to walk in and become engaged in the life of the community,” Director of Co-Curricular Programs Chris Cameron said.

“The space will be incredibly beneficial for organizations to work together in a community aspect,” Lauren Navarro, mass communication junior, said.

Bradley said the Hub will operate on a trial-run basis this semester. After this semester a decision will be made regarding the space’s success or failure and whether they will need a printing quota.

Designed by last year’s SGA leaders, the Hub is included in the $3 million renovation budget for the Danna Center.

Of the 20 organizations that applied, 15 were given space in the open cubicle structure. The space was divided by the Student Space Allocation Committee, a part of SGA’s House of Representatives.

SGA gave organizations space based on what they asked for, such as private or Hub space, probability of usage and contribution to the university. Reallocation for Hub space will happen on an annual basis.

The Hub will operate between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., although keys were given to heads of the organizations to allow for access after hours. A more advanced swipe card access is set to be operational in November.

There is a list of guidelines for the organizations concerning security and privacy that if broken could result in disciplinary action.

“Respect is the key word,” SGA President Cade Cypriano, political science senior, said.

John Adams can be reached at [email protected].