Battle of Freret

The Tulalne vs. Loyola basketball game causes an emotional rivalry between two next neighbors.
    Darrinton Moncrieffe, management sophomore, and Tulane player, Robinson Louisme, battle for the ball during the opening tip-off of the game Nov. 6 at Fogelman Arena.
    Tom Macom

In the past, the Battle of Freret Street, as the basketball game between Loyola and Tulane is known, has been mostly one-sided, with Tulane leading the series 11-1. The last time Loyola won was in the 1972-1973 season, the year before the school eliminated athletics altogether.

In this year’s edition of the ‘rivalry,’ it looked as if the Loyola men’s basketball team would finally beat the Tulane Green Wave.

The game included great hustle, tough team defense and  a spark off the bench from guard Corey Gray, biology freshman. However they could not hold on as Tulane came away with the victory, 74-61.

Loyola started the scoring with a field goal by forward Nick Tuszynski, general studies business junior, to make it 2-0. After Tulane took a 4-7 lead, the ‘Pack started to lockdown on defense. The play by forwards Tuszynski, Robert Manson, marketing junior, and center Darrinton Moncrieffe, management sophomore, contributed to holding the Tulane men to seven points combined in the first half.

Foul trouble did not hinder Loyola early in the game, as Tulane shot 35 percent from the field and 25 percent from beyond the three-point line in the first half.

After a Gray field goal made it 13-7 Tulane, the ‘Pack went on a 22-4 run with Gray
    finishing the scoring with a three-pointer to make it 29-17 ‘Pack. Gray also led the ‘Pack in scoring with 19 points on 7-13 shooting and 3-5 from three-point land, along with four rebounds, one assist and a steal on the night.

Tulane then responded with eight consecutive points to make the score 29-25 Loyola at the half.

Going into the second half with the lead and a crowd behind them that often drowned out the Tulane student section, the ‘Pack wanted to keep their momentum going.
    After management sophomore Ryan Brock’s 24 point performance against Huston-Tillotson University Nov. 9, Brock was held to seven points, along with four rebounds and four assists on the night.

After Manson hit a three-pointer and brought the game to 41-36, Brock scored on a double-clutch lay-up to give the ‘Pack a 43-38 lead. That would be the largest lead they would have the rest of the night.

Tulane took over the lead with 8 minutes and 43 seconds to go in the game. Tulane would not relinquish the lead for the rest of the game.

The ‘Pack’s forced shots and turnovers ensured a Tulane victory. A three-pointer by Torry Beaulieu, history junior, capped off Loyola’s scoring making the score 70-61.  Beaulieu finished with 15 points, four rebounds and four steals.

After free throws by Tulane the score was 74-61. The ‘Pack would not score again, missing two free throws at the end of the game. The game ended with the ‘Pack coming up short 74-61.

According to a Loyola University press release, Michael Giorlando, head coach, said, “I’m very proud of our club tonight. They came out with a lot of energy. We did some nice things defensively. In the last six minutes of the game it got away from us. It was a two point game, but you have to give Tulane credit for that. A couple of shots late didn’t fall and they were able to capitalize. I thought our bench did a very nice job. Cory Gray played hard. We’re going to learn from this and get ready for Sunday,” Giorlando said.
    Gray, the leading scorer in the game, credited his teammates for his big night.

“I felt like our whole team did a great job and a lot of my shots were created by my teammates penetrating and kicking,” Gray said. “It was a confidence booster.”

Michael Dewey can be reached a [email protected].