Three senators resign from SGA

A total of three SGA senators have resigned in a matter of two weeks, which leaves a few seats available for interested students in the Loyola community.

Student Government Association Senator-At-Large Kiva Keiser, marketing senior, resigned from her post due to a spring semester conflict in her class schedule.

“I must take a class next semester and felt it would be irresponsible to continue in Senate knowing I couldn’t devote the appropriate amount of time to student government,” she said. 

To fill the seat, which represents the entire campus as a whole compared to a college-specific seat, the Senate nominated two SGA senators: history junior Garrett Fontenot of the College of Humanities and Natural Sciences and international business junior Jourdan McCullough of the College of Business. The senate voted by secret ballot, and the votes declared Fontenot as the new senator-at-large, who immediately assumed the position.

Courtney Mattison, mass communication freshman, resigned as representative of the College of Social Sciences due to medical reasons.

“SGA was one of my most valued involvements on campus, and I was upset to resign but had to make health a priority and return home to see doctors,” she said. 

Mattison withdrew from Loyola and said her return will be based on the condition of her health. Her proposed initiatives will not be considered this semester due to her absence.

To fill the vacant seat, the senate interviewed three candidates: Carl Harrison, mass communication freshman, Shina Massiha, political science freshman and Joshua Muller, political science sophomore. 

After an executive session, Massiha was chosen and sworn in as senator of the College of Social Sciences by Chief Justice and finance junior Andrew Austermann. As a commuter student, part of Massiha’s commitment to Loyola is to get more commuter students involved on campus.

Political science senior Heather Geddie will soon resign as a representative of the College of Social Sciences because her enrollment status will change from a full-time to a part-time  in the spring semester, according to Maria Rossi, vice president of SGA and English junior.

As of now, there is a vacant seat in both the College of Humanities and Natural Sciences and the College of Social Sciences.

“We will be looking for candidates in the next couple weeks,” Rossi said.

The round of resignations started earlier this semester when Caitlin Smith, English junior, resigned as a representative of the College of Humanities and Natural Sciences because she felt her studies should come first, according to Rossi . Roberto Prego, chemistry freshman replaced her. Rossi also said that former Loyola student Cameron Sasnett resigned because he is not attending Loyola this semester.  Mass communication freshman Courtney Mattison was appointed to fill the vacancy. 

Charmaine Jackson can be reached at [email protected]