Tulane’s Bruff Commons now accepts Loyola’s meal plan

Loyola Students can now use their meal plans in Tulane Universitys dining hall, Bruff Commons,pictured here.
    Kevin Zansler/The Maroon
    Loyola Students can now use their meal plans in Tulane University’s dining hall, Bruff Commons,pictured here.

After many people complained about the new rule allowing Tulane students to use their meal plan in the Orleans Room, Loyola students will get to return the gesture.

Caitlin Brewster, marketing and customer service manager for the Orleans Room, said that Loyola students will now be able to use their meal plan at Tulane’s Bruff, their version of the Orleans Room.

“It was a big complaint that students said it wasn’t fair and it was easy enough to change to make it fair across the board,” Brewster said.

Loyola students could use their Wolfbucks at Tulane’s Bruff but not meals from their meal plans.

Brewster said all that need to be done was to order a new card reader and that one was a little over a week ago and that it should be installed no later than Dec. 1.

Brewster said last year 6,000 to 8,000 people ate at Tulane per week with only about 50 Tulane students eating at Loyola. Now that Tulane students can use their meal plans at Loyola Brewster said that number as bumped up to 1,000.

Loyola’s large freshman class and the high number of Tulane students has caused overcrowding in the OR. This has also created tension between some Loyola and Tulane students. Though some people are indifferent.

“We go over to their LBC so I don’t mind them at the OR,” said Francesca Sussman, marketing senior.

Brewster said that one benefit of allowing students to use meal plans at Tulane’s Bruff is that they are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. with no down time unlike the OR which is only open for lunch and dinner. Though Brewster said that Tulane’s Bruff is overcrowded as well.

“Since Bruff has continuous hours from 7 a.m.-10 p.m. most days, it should me a nice addition to Loyola’s meal plan,” said political science and environmental studies sophomore at Tulane, Sarah Smith. “I hope the addition of Loyola students being able to use swipes at Bruff will help calm some of the unfortunate animosity that has developed.”

Some students are open to eating at Tulane’s Bruff.

“I’ve never eaten there but I think its good to have another option,” said international business and marketing senior Sophie Pena.

Others don’t believe the change will make much of a difference.

“Although I haven’t eaten (at Bruff Commons) for two years now my experience has been sub par,” said marketing senior Abby Gordon.

Political science sophomore Catherine Philbin believes the OR offers more options then Tulane’s Bruff, such as the vegan station.

“We accommodate more people than they do,” Philbin said.

John Adams can be reached at [email protected]