Over 40 agencies seek out volunteers

Students complaining about their meaningless lives will have no excuse after Sept. 11 when Serve, a volunteer fair bringing in more than 40 organizations, will come to Loyola to recruit volunteers.

The Office of Service Learning is hosting this event for a second year primarily for students enrolled in service learning courses, classes that focus on volunteer work outside the classroom in addition to traditional education. The fair is open to everyone, from sororities seeking philanthropy work to student organizations looking for a project to anyone who wants to get more involved.

“The range of agencies we’ll have is what’s really impressive,” said Kelly Brotzman, the office’s director. “You can find something in health, fields of education, after school programs, community centers, rebuilding the environment, legal fields. There’s something for pretty much everyone.”

All agencies are from the New Orleans area. Brotzman suggested people look not only for something that interests them, but also something that fits their schedule and group size (some organizations may not be able to accommodate large groups). The fair will also be held during the first two weeks of next semester.

Still, she encouraged people, especially students in service learning classes, to find something they’re passionate about.

“Look for an agency where you can really learn something,” she said.

Serve will be held from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 11 in the St. Charles room. Students, faculty and staff are all welcome. Food will be provided.

Katie Urbaszewski can be reached at [email protected]